Making Harbor House Your Home
Harbor House Ministries was founded by families, and family involvement is a key element in our operations. We want to partner with families to enhance an individual’s opportunities for growth and independence.
The partnership between Harbor House Ministries, the individual and his/her family begins with move-in. When an individual moves in, he/she along with family or anyone he/she chooses will sit down with the Harbor House team to create a care plan. This plan addresses the physical, emotional, social and spiritual needs of the whole person. Next, the family is asked to spend at least the first three days at Harbor House during waking hours to assist the individual in communicating his/her preferences to our staff. We work very hard to honor each person’s unique preferences in their daily routine and personal care.
Harbor House Ministries’ residents and/or their guardians also meet regularly to discuss the operations in the home, and make suggestions for improvements. The chairperson of each resident/guardian council then meets with Harbor House Ministries’ administrators to discuss any improvements or changes that may be needed.
Our homes were built and designed with input from adults with severe multiple impairments and their families, so they are completely accessible. Some of our homes’ features include:
- Large private rooms to accommodate equipment and reflect individual preferences.
- Extra wide hallways and doorways to accommodate adaptive equipment.
- Individual climate control in each person’s room for hyper/hypothermia
- Reinforced ceilings for adaptive equipment
- Two-hour firewalls separating common areas from sleeping areas for safety
- Therapy tubs to relax rigid muscles